Brain Change
Challenge conventional wisdom.
Destroy dogma, superstition, and lies.
Spare thoughts, anyone?


Wednesday, September 10, 2008

 

Parenting Beyond Belief


I was talking to a client a few years ago, who told me he was an atheist.

"So am I," I happily admitted, pleased to discover our new affinity.

"But I raise my kids Catholic, just to give them some kind of moral footing," he added.

I just about lost it, but kept a cool head as I explained that Judy and I had raised, or were rasing at that time, two children without religion. 

"So far they haven't killed anyone," I encouraged him.

Maybe he went on to loosen the Catholic noose from his children's necks. I don't know. But more than nine million parents in the U.S. are raising children without religion. That's according to the promoters of The Parenting Beyond Belief Seminar a half-day workshop on parenting without religion led by educator Dale McGowan, author of Parenting Beyond Belief and Raising Freethinkers.

I'm finished parenting or I'd be there, but if you're like my atheist client and would like to consider the ethical, non-religions way of parenting, look for this seminar near you.

You'll learn:
• How does moral development really work?
• My mother-in-law wants our kids baptized. How can I respond without causing a rift?
• How can I ease my son’s fears about death without pretending there’s an afterlife?
• How can kids learn about religion without being indoctrinated into religion?

If you're anywhere near Cincinnati, Ohio, I'm sorry about that, but you can attend on Saturday, September 20, at the Vernon Manor Hotel, from 9 AM to 1 PM.

Visit the Parenting Beyond Belief website for details.

Labels: , , ,


Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?